Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Magical Undersea Birthday Card and Bag

Time for another birthday party installment! This time I brought the mermaid!

So, following along with our month long birthday bash at the Cuttlebug Challenge Blog, this week's Be Inspired Challenge in to create a card and gift bag. My bag is really more of a favor bag than a gift bag (I have another plan for gift wrap that you'll see a bit later this month) but I suppose it could be used to house a small gift. It's about 4 1/4 high by 3 3/4 wide.

the bag itself is made from cream cardstock that I spritzed with a bit of walnut ink for aging. I also added some craft sand along the bottom. The top portion of the bag with the embossing and scallops is actually just a topper. I punched holes through all the layers and threaded my patented mix of tulle, cotton twine and pearl strands through the holes. I finished it off with a few seashells and large pearl beads.

Now for the card. I thought this was the perfect time to bring the mermaid into the picture!

I used more Core'dinations here, but I also used some really gorgeous American Crafts specialty paper. This sheet, which I used for the background and the large "pearl" birthday sign, has a beautiful pearl luster and a really great texture! I left off the seashells...they were just too bulky for a card and I didn't distress it because I wanted the whole card to look like a shiny pearl.

Here is a close up view...you can really see the texture!

The mermaid image is one I drew myself and then scanned into the computer to make a digital stamp of sorts. I printed her on brown, cream and green cardstocks and then added a bit more color with some Prismacolor pencils. I cut out all the parts and pieced them together. I embossed the tail with the mesh folder which I think has a great scaly look, then added some glitter. The fin is actually embossed vellum.

Just for fun I thought I'd share the mermaid image. Right click if you'd like to save a j.peg file. If you end up using her I'd love to see the finished product!

Remember to check out the Cuttlebug Challenge Blogspot for a chance at some great prizes and a peek at some incredible DT creations!

Have a happy Wednesday!
Heidi

45 comments:

Cindy said...

Amazing!!! Love these creations, Heidi!!

DonnaMundinger said...

OMG Heidi! I knew you were an artist, but this just blows me AWAY! Your mermaid is etherial! Thanks for the download. I LOVE her! The card and bag are BEAUTIFUL! I think you need to get to work on making a little GIRL! LOL Hugs! D

Tiffany Heilman said...

Holy Cow! Love that mermaid. I thought it might have been purchased until I read on. you are one talented lady!

Amy said...

WOW HEIDI!! The card and bag are AWESOME!! I love all the details and texture.....BUT it is definitely the mermaid, that you hand drew, that drew my attention the most. You are so talented (I'm jealous!!).....LOL

Karen said...

Heidi...my mouth dropped at this gorgeous mermaid card! Thanks for the image! It is stunning as well as your little gift bag!!

Hugs,
Karen

Ellen said...

Oh WOW, I love it!!!

Ellen

Tricia said...

ok you are one seriously TALENTED chick! these are STUNNING!

Regan said...

holy moly...that is pretty amazing heidi!

Linda Beeson said...

HEIDI! this is amazing! What totally cool details and love the looks you achieved with the Core'dinations cardstocks.

whoistracy said...

Oh you are so clever! I love that little bag and the scales on it. That mermaid is adorable, too.

Lucy Abrams said...

Wow - you are such a talented artist Heidi. Your mermaid is beautiful - and the shells on the gift bag - sensational.

Lydia said...

That is spectacular, love all the texture and color, I wish I had invites like that when I was growing up!!

~amy~ said...

Oh Heidi...you are sooooo talented...wowza!!!!

kim-paperbabe said...

Oh my word!!!!! this is fabulously stunning I want to be a mermaid if I looked like that! She is beautiful and the texture is so perfect. Love the vellum tail and the pearls in her hair. The bag is very cute too! Thanks for sharing your art HuGs Kim :)

SJDWolf said...

Wow and WOW! The bag is gorgeous and the card just stunning! Amazing job Heidi!

Michelle aka Otomon said...

Wow! This is just a gorgeous set! I love the the shells and such hanging on the bag and that mermaid you used is jaw-dropping! I'm going to try to use your mermaid - I hope I do her justice!

Enfys said...

I hope I can do your fab mermaid justice Heidi, this set is stunning, I love all the little shells on the bag, and as for the card....speechless for once in my life!
hugs
En x

Amanda Profumo said...

STUNNING! Your bag and card are gorgeous! I want to touch that mermaid fin!

Rosanne said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!

Kimberly said...

Just amazing Heidi!! LOVE that Mermaid and you are FULL of talent! Way to goo!! Nice work!!

Makes me want to go to the beach!! :) LOL!! Awesome!

Kay Sibley said...

BONK! That noise was my chin dropping!! This mermaid is so beautiful. I'm amazed that you drew it and the card you created with her is astonishing!

And such a beautiful treat bag. Who needs a gift inside when you're getting this bag?!!! ♥♥ Kay

Randee E said...

I read this quote somewhere "Oh my flippin' word!!!" This really is beautiful. I love her flowing, sparkly, pearly hair. And I'm glad she's a brunette "wink". I'm definitely going to have to try and play with her. The bag is equally gorgeous. I would hate to open it! I can't even imagine what else you have up your sleeve, but loving it all :0)

Ginny said...

Heidi! this whole project is fabulous!

seriously, this mermaid is so beautiful--reminds me of the fairy you drew not to long ago... LOVE her scales and glitter, and you did a great job with the coloring!

what a sweet set... you've done it again! :D

Allison said...

Wowsers! There is so much depth and color to these creations...just gorgeous! And thanks for the mermaid jpeg...looks like fun!

Jackie said...

Oh these are gorgeous, I love the mermaid's tail :o)
Jackie xx

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably beautiful!!!!

Thanks for sharing
Ros

Ann said...

Oh, wOw!!!! The details on this are absolutely incredible! Fab creations, Heidi!

Beth said...

Totally blew me away Heidi this set is drop dead gorgeous my friend and that mermaid OMG what you did with her. Have her saved can't wait to play with her. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us.
Hugs
Beth

Laurel said...

OMG this is stunning! And you drew it yourself, wow!

Deanna said...

Wow, stunning! The details rock!

tiffguam said...

AMAZING!!!!

Michelle said...

heidi.. this project is over the top fantastic! and add to it that you created the image yourself...

well...it can get no better than that!!

(love the mermaids detail...esp her tail)
super creativity!
michelle

Shantaie said...

OMG Heidi, I LOVE your mermaid..is there no end to your spetacular talent!!??? Marvelous!! Shantaie

Terrie B x said...

OMG Heidi you just completly nailed this whole hallenge..I absolute love these..your attention to details is `amazing` TFS & TFI
Have a fab weekend:)xxx

Rosemary said...

gorgeous!!..just add everyone adjective you can think of..this is it!!..looking at the close up is just amazing..did I say gorgeous!!..lol..wow!..

Rosemary said...

Oh!..I forgot to thank you for that cool stamp!!..Hope I can do it justice!!

Craft u Crazy said...

WOW, your stuff is AMAZING and you are so totally talented...Love you blog. I'm from South Africa and would love you to pop over to my blog sometime to come and see what I do.

Kind regards
Adele James
Craft U Crazy
South Africa

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Heidi. This is absolutely stunning. You have really brought the little mermaid to life with your stunning colouring. The card and gift bag are truly creative master pieces. TFS the image as well.
Hugs
Desire

Wilma said...

Wow, that little mermaid is stunning!!!

Eva said...

WHAT??????!!!!!!!!!!! You can draw, too????????? You are incredible!!!!! WOW, my mouth is open, I need to pick up my jaw....excuse me!!!!! These projects are just AMAZING!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

Amber said...

Heidi I just love it when you share your drawing talent with us! The mermaid is amazing, I was wandering where you found the image! And how sweet that we can share your creation, I'll definitely be making a mermaid card.
Hugs
Amber

Peet said...

WOW, Amazing Heidi!! Love, love it!!!
Hugs
peet x

June Houck said...

You are doing a fab job with this theme. I love your mermaid, but my fave is the "scales" on the gift bag. Genius! You are so talented, my friend!

Cindy Lee said...

Oh goodness!!! You are really talented!! I love your mermaid! Such a perfect drawing!

Anonymous said...

Love this mermaid. thanks for sharing