Saturday, July 23, 2011

Paper Bow Tutorial

Hello out there!

I have a tutorial to share that I'm pretty excited about. I just love making paper bow embellishments and today I'm gonna show you all how I do it.

July tut card 1 det

Were going to start out by making a template. True you don't HAVE to, but it really does make the whole process easier in the end, plus you can keep it and whip it out next time you want to make a paper bow :)

1. Start with a strip of cardstock. You want it to be as wide as you want you're bow to be and twice as long.


2. Fold the cardstock strip in half, then in half again.

3. Put two marks on the cut edge of the cardstock, dividing it into thirds.

4. draw straight lines in from your marks, about as long as they are from the edge of the paper. Then draw curved line to the edges, meeting the edge about 2/3 of the way to the fold.

5. Cut along the lines you've drawn through all the layers of cardstock.

6. Open to reveal your finished pattern.

7. To start making your bow, trace your pattern onto a piece of paper.

8. Cut it out.

9. Place a small piece of dimensional adhesive in the center, fold ends in and adhere.

Starting to look like a bow!!

10. Place another piece of dimensional adhesive on the front center, cut a small strip of matching paper wide enough to cover it and adhere.

Looking even more like a bow!

11. Now to make the tails. Trace the end of your bow pattern on a piece of paper that is as long as you would like your ribbon tails to be.

12. Trim and cut the end as desired. I've added a dovetail to mine, but you might prefer just a diagonal cut. Repeat for the second tail.

13. Adhere your tails to the back of your ribbon and voila! A perfect paper bow.

I made a couple cards to share how I like to use them.

First up a classically elegant wedding card.

July tut card 1

I used papers and embellishment from the exquisite Sweet Surrender collection to compliment my bow. The flowers are brads and cabochons and the focal image is a letterpress sticker that I jazzed up with a little color courtesy of Copic.

Another card, this one falling more into the cute category.

July tut card 2

For this one I broke out the Animal Crackers for Girls collection and made something I think works equally well as a baby or birthday card. How CUTE is that little lady bug rub on?

So what do you think? Is this something you would try?

48 comments:

Suzanne :O ) said...

wow, that's really cool, heidi! your directions look really easy to follow.. I'm going to have to try that out! I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Barbara M said...

You made it look so simple. I never would have imagined it was that easy! Thanks for sharing, I'll be using this for sure!

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Wow !!! love it! thanks Heidi for the tutorial..i m going to try it.

Jennifer said...

Hi Heidi,

Thank you wo much for taking the time to show us how you make your beautiful paper bows!!! :) Your (many!) pictures were so helpful!

Crafty hugs,

Jennifer
Partridgelu at yahoo dot com

Kathlene said...

Your bows really are spectacular on your beautiful cards, Heidi. I just barely mastered the ribbon rose, and am now goin' for the paper bow. Thanks for taking the time to share your talents. (That wedding card is out of this world gorgeous!)

Anne-Marie said...

Certainly givin' this one a try...thank you! Wedding card is sooo elegant!

Sarah said...

Sweet bows, Heidi! I think I have to try them.

Rae Barthel said...

absolutely DARLING clever girl!!

terisplace said...

You are so clever!
Just saying.

Teri

Mandee Adams said...

What a nice change from the typical fabric bow...difinitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

FrancineB said...

Very cool! Yes, this is something I would definitely try. In fact, if I had read this tutorial Friday morning when I was at a scrapping retreat, I would have used it then!

martouille said...

:-) what a great idea... thanks a lot for this tutorial and for everything... it's such a pleasure to visit your blog :-)

DonnaMundinger said...

I really love this, Heidi! Now I can have a bow to match ANYTHING! Thanks for a great tut! xxD

Deanna said...

Great tutorial gf!

Sonia/sbspsp said...

that was amazing....... thank you for sharing it with us.
Sonia/Brazil

Shore Girl said...

Oh wow I love this! Never given paper bows a try before, but you can bet I will now! Thanks so much for sharing this excellent tutorial with us!

ARTES ANDRÉA PRADO said...

So cute! Thank you for sharing it with us,
Hugs

CreativSpirit said...

What a lovely way to make the perfect bow. Thanks for sharing.

Deanne Stewart-Mills said...

This is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.
Deanne
xx
Sydney, Australia

jogrybali said...

This is really beautiful and helpful,
now I can really make it the same as my paper colour.

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

great tutorial !!! thanks!!!
I´ll feature on my blog. Hope you don´t mind
hugs from Brazil

Dr Sonia S V said...

It is so beautiful . I got the link from Rosana's blog.
Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Alicia said...

Thanks for this. I just made my template... i should say my first template as I plan to make a few in different sizes! Can't wait to try this on cards and anything else I can think of!

Renee VanEpps said...

Beautiful and you made it look so easy! LOve LOVE LOVE it! Can't wait to try my hand at it, thanks so much!

AmyCatherine said...

Bows are my favorite thing in the whole world. I never thought of paper ones!

Mommy said...

This is so beautiful! I cannot wait to try it out! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!

aimee said...

cute bow tutorial thanks so much for sharing iv been thinking about making my own wedding invites and i am going to try this bow, i dont usually do paper craft or cards i usually sew so it will be fun to try xxx

NANA R NASSAR said...

perfect!!!!

CristinaV. said...

Wonderful!

Jenny Young said...

Simple and cute. Easy to follow instructions. Thanks for sharing :)

Melissa Lind said...

Nice Tute on the bow! You make it look so easy! I found you via Tip Junkie somehow! :D

Have a fabulous and inspired day!

~I hope you can take a moment to pop over to www.mywatermelonmoon.com and checkout my (relatively new) blog! I a follower of yours and would love you to give some blog love as a follower of mine! :) Happy Crafting!

Terry said...

Wow Heidi, its fabulous thank you for sharing hugs terry xxxx

salem said...

loove it"!"!

Adri Munhoz said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing with us! Hugs

Helene E said...

thank you so much for this tutorial! I've made loads and loads of bows now and on my blog today I have linked to your page so thanks again!

LilyPuss Cards said...

Brilliant!!!...wished I found this before I bought a very expensive die that did this!!!!...lol

Your cards are such inspirations!!

Hugs
Jan...xx

Exclusively by Mel said...

Thanks so much for a brilliant tutorial, I so want to try this bow!
Love,melly. xxx

Crafty Kitten said...

I found your tutorial from Helene's blog so thank you to both of you. I have just made my first one and will link to your blog when I do the post in a few weeks time.
hugs
Dawn xx

Emily Hammann said...

Holy moly, I love this idea! I stink at making bows with ribbon, so this is right up my alley! Thank you for sharing this!!! I can't wait to try!!!

Judy said...

Hi Heidi,

I found you through Mummylade (she just did a gorgeous paper bow), and mentioned your tutorial. I totally love this idea, and love hand making a lot of the things on cards. I can not wait to give this a go. Thank you for sharing your talents.

xo
Judy

Wendy L said...

I, too, found you from Helene E, great tutorial. Thanks. xxx

Sue - bearhouse said...

Thank you for your amazing tutorial. I have just added a card to my blog today using a bow that I made using your fabulous instructions. I have linked with thanks to your blog.
Sue xx

donna mikasa said...

Thank you for sharing this! Such beautiful bows!

judkajudi said...

This is very timely!! Just what I needed and I thank you very much!

Lorraine said...

This is excellent. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

It's actually very complex in this active life to listen news on Television, so I just use internet for that purpose, and take the latest information.

Feel free to visit my website :: how many calories do you burn walking

Colleen Howell said...

WOW this is awesome, I love it. Thank you so much for showing us all how easy it is to make a bow out of paper. This will help alot on the cards we make they will go through the mail so much easier and will not cost as much to send.

lisa said...

Excellent tutorial! I think your blog is wonderful. Thank-you for sharing your techniques. found you via Pintrest.