Friday, March 2, 2012

Cloud Card and Template

Hello again!

Today I thought I'd share a shaped card I came up with :)

I love making shaped cards, they're such a fun departure from right angles and they always get a fun reaction from the recipient. Plus, since I usually come up with my own patterns, it lets me stretch my creative muscles a bit.

OK, so here is the card.

Wishing You Sunshine
Supplies:
Cardstock: (cream) The Paper Co., (yellow) Bazzill, Patterned Papers: (Farmhouse 8x8 pad) October Afternoon, Stamps: (sentiment from"Eco Friendly") Paper Smooches, Ink: (gray) ColorBox, Flower: Jennie Bowlin, Button: October Afternoon, Twine: The Twinery, Dies: (Classic Inverted Scallop Circle Sm, Classic Circle Sm Nestabilities) Spellbinders
5 3/4"x4"


and here is the pattern:

(click to open, right click to save)

I do all of my cutting on an electronic cutting machine, but I realize not everyone has one of those so here are some directions on how to use the pattern without one.

  • Start with a folded card base that will fit the size of your pattern.
  • Print and cut the pattern out to use as a template.
  • Trace the pattern onto your card base with enough of the top edge hanging over the fold to keep the fold in tact when the shape is cut. Cut along traced lines.
  • Use the pattern to cut more shapes from patterned paper to cover the front of the card. (I used gray gingham for the front of my card and also used blue polka dot as a sort of shadow, you don't have to do both if you don't want to, I just liked the effect.)
  • Cover your shaped card with the patterned paper you've cut. ( For this card, I adhered the blue dot paper slightly up and to the right of the card base and then matted the gray gingham on some cream cardstock and adhered it lined up perfectly with the card base. I also added a sun that I created with two Spellbinder's dies sandwiched in between the two layers)
To finish mine off I added a flower, button and stamped sentiment.

If you decide to use this template, I'd love to hear from you and see what you've done with it!

Have a maaah-velous weekend!
Heidi

8 comments:

Jingle said...

This is very cute!

cassie said...

This is really cute! I can't figure out where your card folds though- hard to see from photo.

Julie Ebersole said...

EEP!!! LOVE!!!

Deanna said...

Totally love it!

Ryann Salamon said...

Adorable, Heidi!! I too love shaped cards and this cloud is so fun! Lots of possibilities with this one!!

dstandard said...

This is one fabulous card! Thanks!

Regan said...

OOOOH, LOVE IT!

Betty J Schaub said...

Love your little cloud. Here's what I did with it!
http://zacksnanaat.blogspot.com/2012/03/inspirational-card-sketches.html